Welcome to The Official Website
of The Catlins
FortroseSign

Fortrose

Fantastic sunsets over the estuary are just one of the highlights here.

Fortrose township, in the far south of The Catlins, sits at the mouth of the Mataura River, which was an early transport highway. It is the Southern gateway to The Catlins coastal route.

History - Fortrose has a history reflecting all the stages of European settlement – the short-lived whaling station, sawmills, the port where coastal shipping came and went, and farming which became and remains the key to the local economy. The heyday of the village was in the early 1900s when it was a lively centre of blacksmithing, trade, and there were churches and a school. However, the railway bypassed Fortrose in 1911, the sea lane became impassable due to the sand bar at the Mataura River Mouth, the roads to larger towns were improved and time attacked the deserted wooden buildings.)

Attractions and Services:

  • Places to stay are available.
  • Food and Services including café, fuel.
  • Wet and Wild activities including fishing and boating.
  • Outdoor Activities – including the South Island’s most southern golf course.
  • Nature & Wildlife birdlife.
  • Walks - walk along the beach and around the headland near the golf course.
  • Remnants of the steamship Ino viewable at low tide.
  • At nearby Waipapa Point there is a lighthouse and historic cemetery.

Location: 1 hour 37 minutes drive from Balclutha, 35 minutes drive from Invercargill.