Pounawea is a quiet, seaside settlement 5 minutes’ drive from Owaka. It is a restful holiday destination and it sits between the estuaries of The Catlins and Owaka Rivers.
- Where to Stay including motor camps, lodge and holiday houses.
- Children's playground with a public tennis court.
- Bush and estuary walks including an easy estuary walk known as “The Elbow Track”.
- The Pounawea Reserve behind the township contains many significant trees, and a walking track through the forest leads to an interesting salt marsh negotiable at low tide.
- Wet and Wild activities including kayaking and fishing in the estuary.
- Wildlife including bird watching (forest and sea birds).
Location: 20 minutes drive from Balclutha, 1 hour 50 minutes drive from Invercargill