Tokanui - means "big rock" or "many rocks".
The Tokanui township has a population of about 160 and is a service centre for the South Catlins community which is primarily involved in sheep/beef and dairy farming. An active community supports a primary school, playcentre, volunteer first response units (fire and ambulance), Medical Centre and Toy library.
History - Tokanui was settled in about 1883. It grew quickly to become a busy central service centre for the surrounding district and a main stop for the railway for more than 40 years (opened 1911 and closed 1966). Timber and flax mills were booming industries in those years so the railway became a regular and reliable way of shifting their products. )
Location: 45 minutes from Invercargill, 1 hour 40 minutes drive from Balclutha